Sometimes you get yourself into a bad situation, or you are accused of something you did not do. Whatever the crime you are being charged for you need to think about how you are going to effectively defend yourself. When you look for the best criminal lawyers, Melbourne has to offer, you are giving yourself the best chance to see results you are happy with, or at least the best ones possible. You can have a lawyer appointed for you but these are very busy people with a lot of cases who might not be able to give you the attention you want. Paying for your own lawyers could give you better odds but first, you need to find them.
Looking for a Melbourne criminal lawyer you can trust
Not all lawyers are focused or experienced in criminal law, not all of them have much experience, and not all of them are the best. So here is a look at how you can find a good lawyer for yourself that will do their best for you.
- First of all, talk to people you know whose opinions and honesty you trust. They may have had to hire someone themselves or know someone they would recommend. It is a good way to be able to ask about their experience, whether they felt the lawyer worked hard and so on.
- Do not rush into the choice. Finding the best criminal lawyers Melbourne has should take a little research. Narrow down the list and then see if they offer a free meet which is an opportunity to see how comfortable you are with them, and how well they communicate with you. You are going to need to speak honestly with them about the case so make sure you feel you can do that.
- Narrow down the list by looking for lawyers with experience, with past success and who get good comments from past clients when you look online.
- It is a good idea if you live in Melbourne to hire a Melbourne criminal lawyer. Hiring local means they are closer to you, are familiar with the area and the local law.
- When you hire a lawyer you are not their only client. So when there are times when something takes them away from you and you need them, who will you be dealing with and what experience do they have?
- Do not hide things from your lawyer. It does not help your case, in fact, it hinders it. Your lawyer needs you to be honest and open about the details, ready to answer questions and provide them with what they need. It is the best way they can represent you to the best of their ability.
Whatever criminal charges you are facing you should find a lawyer who has dealt with similar cases before. If it is theft, assault, or whatever, you want them to have handled those kinds of cases as it means they have more experience, understanding of the law and are more skilled.
Bio – McNally & Gleeson Lawyers is a leading Melbourne criminal law firm. Established in 1994, and formally Michael J Gleeson & Associates, we specialise in all police and criminal matters and pride ourselves on our persevering commitment to our clients. We represent our clients in police and criminal charges from bail applications through to plea hearings, contested criminal trials and final appeals.