Dubai is very western. Different cultures and nations come together here. The city has most international places in the world. Only 20% of the people are native (Emirati). The remaining 80% come from all over the world.
In Dubai the principle applies: higher, faster, further. More and more superlatives are emerging here. The most famous are The Palm, Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Mall and The World . Dubai is particularly distinctive from the air. If you see the palm tree on approach for landing, you know where you are.
DUBAI IS NOT SAUDI ARABIA
The United Arab Emirates borders Saudi Arabia, but they are mistakenly associated with Saudi Arabia. The countries have their own language, culture and customs . There are of course similarities. But you can’t necessarily compare Germany, for example, with Holland, France, Poland or the Czech Republic, just because the countries border one another.
1. DUBAI IS MORE THAN JUST A STOPOVER STATION
You shouldn’t just have Dubai on your screen as a stopover station. There is really a lot to see and do while sightseeing in Dubai. Many only associate Dubai with desert and luxury or imagine expensive cars and rich sheikhs with hawks in their arms, however it’s quite easy to rent luxury car Dubai.
Ok, there is a lot of it, of course. In Dubai there is actually everything you can imagine. Dubai is filthy rich. But just let yourself go a little longer and you will see what a great atmosphere the city has and what great people live there.
2. BURJ KHALIFA – THE TALLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD (YET)
The Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest building in the world at 828 m and one of the most popular Dubai attractions. You will love and hate the building. Love because the view from the observation deck is phenomenal. Hate because you’ll just never get this building in the right picture.
You have to book a ticket for a Burj Khalifa tour . And it’s best to buy this ticket well in advance. Especially in the high season or on New Year’s Eve you have to plan with a little more lead time. Otherwise it can happen that you no longer get a free appointment.
3. DUBAI FOUNTAIN
At the foot of the huge skyscraper is the artificial lake Lake Burj Dubai with the famous water fountain, also known as the Dubai Fountain. It is the top attraction downtown. And how could it be otherwise, it is of course the largest water fountain in the world. Pretty impressive.
4. DUBAI DESERT SAFARI
Since we know people in Dubai, we go on a desert safari every time we are there. And to be honest: it’s just the Oberhammer! Cruising through the sand dunes in your own jeep is something very special.
5. BURJ AL ARAB
The Burj al Arab, also just called Al Arab, is one of the top Dubai attractions. The Burj al Arab, along with the Burj Khalifa, is one of the most famous buildings in the world and is a very popular Dubai attraction. It is 321 meters high and has the shape of a sail. Officially, the hotel has “only” five stars, but the media often add two more stars due to the luxurious furnishings.
6. THE WORLD ISLAND – LEBANON ISLAND
One of the most extraordinary places in Dubai is The World Island , also called Lebanon Island . The World Island is the only island of the project “The World” that is finished and also accessible to the public . “The World” will later consist of 300 islands and is currently in the development phase.
The island can only be reached by water taxi from Jumeirah Fishing Harbor (Fisherman Marina Jumeirah 1). Entry (including boat transfer) to the island costs AED 200 per person and the journey takes about 15 minutes. The boat departs every hour from 11 a.m.
7. HELICOPTER FLIGHT
The helicopter flight is one of my personal highlights and I recommend everyone to take such a tour. During the sightseeing flight you will pass beautiful sights. My helicopter tour lasted a total of 12 minutes and started at the Atlantis Hotel .
8. DUBAI MALL WITH DUBAI AQUARIUM AND UNDERWATER ZOO
The Dubai Mall is located directly on the Burj Khalifa and, with over 1200 shops, is currently the largest shopping center in the world and one of the most popular shopping malls. You always have to say now, because you never know what’s coming next year.
9. ARABIC FOOD
The Emirates have great food. In the meantime, however, it is no longer that easy to find an authentic Arabic restaurant in Dubai. There are a lot of western restaurant chains that you know from everywhere.
One of my recommendations is Al Fanar . There are many traditional Arabic dishes here. An example of a delicacy is shark . Looks like tuna and is refined with many spices. But there are also great vegetarian dishes . The best thing to do is to try the menu up and down. The dishes are all delicious!
You can visit the most important sights and most popular attractions on a bus tour with a hop-on and hop-off bus. The buses pass all the landmarks. So you can go on a relaxed sightseeing excursion. A dhow boat trip is also popular.