Free and discounted services
Don’t have health insurance? There are a number of free and discounted services you may qualify for, including free urgent care clinics and help to pay for your medications or health insurance. To find resources that offer free services or financial help with medical costs in North Carolina. For general health insurance information, visit our Health Insurance page. To find a free and low-cost clinic near you, go to the free clinic.
What health insurance options are available to me?
- North Carolina ePASS allows individuals and families to learn about and apply for available benefits and services.
- To receive a personalized list of health coverage options in 5 simple steps, go to and take the quiz to get started.
- Benefits Finder is another tool you can use to find out what benefits are available to you.
Free and discounted medical services
- To find the clinic closest to you, search The North Carolina Association of Free & Charitable Clinics database.
- The Department of Health and Human Resources provides funds to medical centers, hospitals, and other care institutions to help people receive affordable health care. For the offer in your area, see below.
- Find a medical center: Medical centers offer medical and dental care to people of all ages, whether or not they have health insurance or the money to pay for medical care.
- Find hospitals and other institutions: Hospitals, nursing homes, and other institutions must offer a specific amount of free or reduced-cost health care to people who cannot pay. Eligibility depends on your family size and income.
- Finding HIV/AIDS Care: The Ryan White HIV/AIDS programs are an option for uninsured and underinsured people living with HIV/AIDS to obtain primary health care and ancillary services.
Insurance solutions for people with pre-existing conditions
Southeast Insurance Solutions offers affordable health insurance coverage for North Carolinians without access to employer-sponsored health plans who have been denied individual coverage, had benefits withdrawn, or must pay higher premiums due to pre-existing conditions. Visit Inclusive Health – NC Health Insurance Risk Pool to find out if you qualify.
Benefits for people with disabilities
Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs offer assistance to people with disabilities. To find out if you qualify, go to Benefits for People with Disabilities.
Prescription Drug Assistance
There are several programs that can help you pay for all or part of your drugs:
- Medicine Assistance Tool (helps eligible uninsured or underinsured patients receive free or nearly free medications through the appropriate public or private program)
- NC MedAssist (provides free prescription drugs to low-income, uninsured North Carolinians who are at or below the federal poverty level by 200%)
- RxAssist (operated by pharmaceutical companies to provide free medications to people who cannot afford them)
- NeedyMeds (national nonprofit information resource dedicated to helping people find assistance programs to pay for prescriptions and other health care costs)
Free medical services for children
- Insure Kids Now is a state and federal government program that provides medical, dental, and psychological care to eligible children. To find out if you or your child are eligible, go to Children’s Health Coverage Programs in North Carolina.
- North Carolina Health Choice for Children is a health insurance plan that covers inpatient and outpatient care for children from eligible families.
Health Care Cost Comparison
- Healthcare Bluebook Fair Price shows you the reasonable amount you should pay for a medical service. It is calculated from a national database of medical payment information, customized to your geographic area.
- Calculate your health care expenses at FAIR Health, Inc. Get the essential information on the costs of thousands of procedures and learn insurance basics.
- GoodRx collects and compares prices and discounts from over 60,000 pharmacies. You can also print coupons or send them to your phone to get discounts on your prescription drugs.
- NerdWallet allows you to compare health insurance quotes for individual health plans. It will show you the offer of plans by state and federal health insurance markets.