USAA Car Insurance Our View: USAA provides financial services and insurance products to military members and their families. Generous discounts and knowledgeable customer service representatives help the company stand out, but coverage is limited to USAA members only. Industry Position95Availability95Coverage95Accessibility95Customer Service100Online Experience95ProsAccident ForgivenessFlexible Payment Plan
United Services Automobile Association (USAA) auto insurance offers active duty military veterans and their immediate family members a variety of military-specific and standard vehicle coverage options. This article will look at USAA auto insurance reviews, policy options, discounts, prices, etc.
Our team has done extensive research on each of the best auto insurance companies in the industry, going through the quoting process and evaluating coverage and customer feedback. Read on to learn more about USAA auto insurance, or fill out the form below to get free auto insurance quotes from top providers in your area.
USAA is one of the best auto insurance providers in the industry. It’s known for its affordable rates and extensive coverage options (including accident forgiveness), and USAA auto insurance reviews are overwhelmingly positive. However, the coverage is not available to all drivers. USAA insurance coverage is only available to military personnel and their immediate family members.
Although USAA does not have physical branches available to the public (some locations on military bases), its customer satisfaction ratings remain high. In JD Power customer satisfaction studies, USAA regularly tops the list for auto insurance. The auto insurer also has an A++ (Superior) rating from AM Best and an A- from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
The company is currently based in San Antonio, Texas, and offers auto insurance, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, etc.
USAA auto insurance coverage options
USAA truly tailors its coverage to meet the unique demands of military life. From special extended benefits to vehicle storage discounts for deployed individuals, USAA auto insurance has served military families for nearly a century.
Here are your options for auto insurance with USAA:
- Liability Insurance – Required in most states, this insurance covers injury, death, and property damage if you are at fault in a collision.
- Comprehensive Coverage – A plan for damages not related to a collision or rollover. Specific custom equipment is also covered, including some non-OEM parts.
- Collision Insurance – Protect your vehicle in an accident or rollover, no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Opt for bodily injury protection or property damage protection in a hit-and-run or collision caused by an underinsured or uninsured driver.
- Expanded Benefits Coverage – Covers service and salaried disability benefits and a death benefit. You must purchase medical payments coverage to receive extended benefits.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Get coverage up to a certain amount for funeral expenses, income continuation, loss of service expenses, and child care.
- Rideshare Coverage – USAA is one of the few providers that ensure Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare drivers while they wait for a ride request.
USAA offers standard roadside assistance and rental vehicle reimbursement if you’re looking for additional coverage. We especially like its accident forgiveness benefit, which you won’t find with some competitors. Accident forgiveness is granted after five years without an accident or violation. If you cause an accident after that, your insurance premiums will not increase.
One of the downsides to USAA insurance coverage is that some unique benefits are limited by where you live. Extended benefit coverage, for example, may not be available in your state.
Another limitation is the USAA membership requirements. USAA auto insurance is only available to the following people:
- Spouses of USAA members
- Children and stepchildren of USAA members
- Officer candidates from ROTC, OTS/OCS, or an academy
- Officers and active, retired, or honorably discharged military service members
- Widows, widowers, and unmarried former spouses of USAA members who joined during the marriage
USAA auto insurance costs and discounts
The most recent data from the NAIC list the following average auto insurance premium prices across the country.
- Liability Insurance : $566.51
- Collision Insurance : $342.40
- Comprehensive insurance : USD 153.32
According to JD Power, USAA ranks first in customer satisfaction regarding affordability, making it popular with veterans and military families. USAA cuts prices even further with a series of driver discounts and plans based on the following factors:
- Good Student: Receive a discount for maintaining good grades.
- New Vehicle – If your car is less than three years old, you’ll get a discount.
- Loyalty – The longer you stay with USAA, the more you save on premiums.
- Multiple Vehicles – Expand your plan to two or more vehicles and receive a discount.
- Vehicle Storage – Receive up to a 60 percent discount for storing your vehicle.
- Annual Mileage – Get a discount for driving fewer miles per year with a usage-based plan.
- Safe Driver: Improve your rate if you maintain a good driving record for five years or more.
- Driving Courses – Complete a USAA defensive driving course (or an introductory driving course if you’re under 21) for a discount.
- Family Discount – Adult children of USAA members can save up to 10 percent on auto insurance by continuing USAA auto insurance services.
- Military Installation Discount: Save up to 15 percent on comprehensive insurance plans if you store your vehicle in a garage on an army base.
Your insurance rates will also be determined by your age, gender, driving history, and vehicle.
USAA Claims Process
The only thing rated as high as USAA’s coverage and affordability is its customer service and claims process. We give USAA customer service a 100 percent rating for the overall claims experience. USAA auto insurance reviews frequently praise customer service representatives for their professionalism and quick responses.
Although USAA does not have physical locations, customers can still communicate effectively by phone or online. The online quote engine is fast and straightforward when requesting a car insurance quote. The USAA mobile app allows USAA members to check their insurance policy information, request quotes, and download insurance ID cards.
Customers also have several payment plan options, including a six- or 12-month payment plan. Nor is any payment required at the beginning of the policy.
Our research gives USAA auto insurance a 100 percent rating for overall claims and customer service experience. USAA auto insurance is the best on the market for military families.
USAA Auto Insurance Reviews & Reputation
USAA auto insurance reviews are mainly positive. The company has near-perfect scores in customer satisfaction for its fair claim settlements, claims handling, price estimation process, and efficient repair process. Your USAA claims representative will work with you until the repairs are complete.
USAA customers are loyal, and many families report that they have stayed with USAA for decades.
Here are some sample USAA auto insurance reviews from current customers on Trustpilot:
“I have been with USAA for over ten years. It is only when dealing with other insurance companies that you realize how fantastic the customer service is at USAA.” – Randolph W.
“I have been a member of USAA for years. . . and I am sure that there is no better company to work with. They are fast, responsive, and very adaptable to your needs. I have checking and savings accounts with USAA, a credit card, auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and life insurance. With each additional product, I get greater discounts. The staff is very professional and helpful whenever I need them.” – Lisa P.
According to the Better Business Bureau, customers have mixed reviews of some USAA services, such as banking, but USAA auto insurance reviews tend to be favorable.
Despite USAA’s good reputation, increased customer complaints about BBB have been raised. Typically, these cases involve being denied roadside assistance or having trouble contacting an assigned customer service representative. However, the insurer has an A++ rating from AM Best, indicating that it has a superior ability to pay customer claims.
Conclusion: The best car insurance for military families
USAA auto insurance is our pick for Best for Military Families. With a 15 percent discount on storage and unique health coverage plans, USAA meets the specific needs of military members, veterans, and their families.
Our research shows that a USAA auto policy is affordable and efficient for drivers, but its insurance isn’t for everyone. If you are not in the military or a spouse or child of a military member, this company is not for you.
If that’s the case, you still have plenty of solid options. Consider our other highly rated companies, including State Farm (best for student drivers), Liberty Mutual (best for new drivers), or GEICO (best overall).